We are facing challenging trading conditions and unprecedented economic and political change this year, and in response New West End Company is launching our action plan for 2019 – a series of policy and practical initiatives – to support West End & Mayfair businesses.
International Centre Summits
We will be holding a series of summits – with the Government, Mayor of London and Westminster City Council alongside our member businesses – to recognise the importance of the West End and Knightsbridge International Centres to the future prosperity of London and the UK after Brexit.
Faced with structural change to retailing, falling customer confidence, rising costs – particularly business rates – and delays in both Crossrail and the Oxford Street District transformation, the West End needs government, at all levels, to work in partnership with us to secure our future success. So at our International Centre Summits in Spring, we will be calling for government to:
- Take action to mitigate the impact of Business Rate rises
- Digitalise tax free shopping and extend it to EU visitors following Brexit (worth an estimated £1.4bn of additional spend)
- Launch a marketing campaign to target UK domestics visitors to London
3D programme to improve the West End
Alongside our International Centre Deal, New West End Company is also implementing our 3D programme for London’s West End & Mayfair:
- Data – the launch of our world-first consumer analysis service in partnership with PwC
- Digital – rolling-out free customer WiFi throughout our district with ‘always on” customer channels
- Delivery – the start of the Oxford Street District transformation programme and an improved customer service to our member businesses
It is a real privilege to be the strong and unified business voice for our area. We will continue to work with our partners at Westminster City Council, Transport for London and the Mayor of London over the next year to deliver tangible improvements to our key shopping streets and pressing the case for policies that lock in economic success and growth for the long-term.
Although we are facing many challenges that need to be addressed urgently by both our policy makers and the business community, there are huge opportunities ahead in the next decade and I am firm believer with the Board and the full team that we are an enterprising and resilient community and that we have a bright future ahead of us as your business collective.