An influential business voice
We champion the West End & Mayfair’s international retail & leisure sector to all levels of Government, advocating for policies that create jobs and promote long-term good economic growth.
We lead and participate in campaigns that drive global competitiveness and
prosperity such as funding for public realm schemes, business rates reform,
extended Sunday trading hours and removing barriers to tourism spend.
Read more about our business campaigns by clicking the red button:
View our recent responses on behalf of our members:
- Consultation on the transitional arrangements for the 2017 business rates revaluation
- Commons Select Committee on Housing, Communities and Local Government Inquiry into Future of High Streets
- Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government consultation on ‘Planning Reform: Supporting the high street and increasing the delivery of new homes’
- Treasury Select Committee on The Impact of Business Rates on Business Inquiry
Local (Westminster City Council, Transport for London, Metropolitan Police)
- Westminster City Council draft City Plan 2019 – 2040
- Mayor of London’s Draft Budget 2019-2020
- Westminster City Council’s draft budget 2019/2020
- Westminster Draft City Plan 2019-2040 Consultation Response
- Westminster Draft City Plan 2019-2040 Consultation Response Overview
- Response to Westminster City Council Ward Review – January 2020
- Response to Westminster City Council Budget – January 2020
- Response to Westminster City Council’s Air Quality Action Plan Consultation – February 2020
- Response to Draft Busking and Street Entertainment Policy – February 2020
View our combined responses with other Westminster BIDS:
- Consultation on Business Rates Reform
- Westminster City Council’s consultation on the Strand Aldwych proposals
- Transport for London’s consultation on the Ultra Low Emission Zone
- The Mayor of London’s Night Time Commission Consultation
- Street Performing Report for City Management and Public Protection Policy & Scrutiny Committee
- DEFRA’s Clean Air Strategy
- Transport for London’s Proposed Changes to the Congestion Charge
- First consultation on the transformation of the Oxford Street District
- Second consultation on the transformation of the Oxford Street District
- Mayor of London’s Transport Strategy
- Mayor of London’s Economic Strategy
- The draft London Plan – from The Mayor of London
- Westminster City Council’s draft budget 2018/19
- GLA’s draft budget
- Oxford Street District Strategy Consultation
A snapshot of our work
We led the London-wide campaign to minimise the impact of business rate rises on the capital, saving West End businesses £10 million over three years compared with the original proposals, and will continue to lobby for a wholesale review of business taxation to create a fairer system for all.
We also campaigned to make it easier for high spending foreign visitors to visit and shop. Our work with the UK China Visitor Alliance led to the introduction of the two-year Chinese visa in 2016 together with a range of other initiatives. In the
campaign’s five years, Chinese visitor numbers have increased by over 150%, outstripping growth in the Schengen area and the UK climbed above Germany and Italy to come a close second to France in the number of visitor visas issued.
We secured £5 million of investment from the Mayor, Transport for London and Westminster City Council towards the £10 million public realm scheme for Bond Street, ensuring the work will be completed in time for the opening of the new Elizabeth Line in 2018.
We are also a key driving force behind the Oxford Street District Consultation, launched in November 2018 by Westminster City Council. New West End Company will continue to work with Westminster City Council and Transport for London to deliver a scheme that works for businesses, visitors and residents.
In 2016 our New West End Company campaign saw Sunday trading reform proposed in a Government Bill for the first time in 22 years. Although defeated in the Commons we are confident we can introduce this again in the next two years.
£10 million funding secured for Bond Street transformation
£10 million saved in business rates for West End businesses over 3 years
150% increase in Chinese visitors since our intervention on tourist visas